St. Basil’s Cathedral on Red Square, Image of Moscow. Bright sun illuminates the whimsical spires and intricately carved onion domes of St. Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow’s most colorful landmark. Built in the 1550s to celebrate Ivan the Terrible’s conquest of Kazan’ and Astrakhan’, this extraordinary structure was originally known as the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Virgin. Eight chapels, each with a distinct exterior, originally surrounded the central church.
A ninth chapel was built in 1588 to commemorate Saint Basil the Fool, after whom the cathedral is now named. Now a museum, Saint Basil’s is filled with centuries-old frescoes, icons, and paintings.