The capital of the eastern Mediterranean island of Cyprus since the 12th century, Nicosia was divided in 1974 as a result of fighting between Greek and Turkish Cypriots. The Turkish seizure of the northern part of the island included part of the centrally located city. Nicosia’s long history can be seen in its architecture and monuments, and in the 16th-century Venetian-built walls that surround the city.
The Selimiye Mosque, located in the Turkish sector of Nicosia, Cyprus, was originally constructed as a Christian church. Completed in 1325, the structure was converted to use as a mosque after Ottoman forces gained control of the island in the late 16th century.